In the ever-evolving landscape of online business and digital assets, Flippa, the #1 marketplace to buy and sell online businesses, is improving the way you trade digital assets with the launch of our newest category: Newsletters. We’ve recently introduced a new category to provide an enhanced selling experience for anyone looking to sell a newsletter, or acquire one.
To celebrate the launch, for a limited time Flippa is offering FREE listings for all newsletters and our lowest success fees ever at just 2.5% when you sell. Find out more here.
If you’re looking to sell your newsletter, you can now share key metrics that specifically relate to newsletters including active subscribers numbers, open rates, click through rates, unsubscribe rates, revenue and more.
Flippa supports any newsletter platform you use including Beehiv, Substack, Medium, Mailchimp and many others. Simply select the platform you use, choose the industry that best represents your newsletter and begin building your description.
“It’s great to see Flippa promoting newsletter businesses as an asset class by creating a new category for them on the platform. This will give newsletter operators more options and liquidity.”Richard Patey, expert in the world of alternative assets and monetizing them. Rochard has had seven successful exits including a content review site for six figures. Most recently, Richard has founded three newsletters, Digital Asset Investor newsletter, Letter Meta, and Media Assets, all of which he continues to run.
Biggest Newsletter Sales
Flippa’s entry into the newsletter market comes at a time when the demand for established newsletters is soaring. Here are three notable newsletter acquisitions that have made headlines:
- Acquired by Hubspot in 2021 for an estimated $25 to $30 Million, The Hustle, a daily business newsletter that grew to over 1.5 Million subscribers, as well as an estimated 5-8 Million annual website visitors.
- Estimated to be around $75 Million, the two co-founders of Morning Brew, both under 30, sold a majority stake to Insider Inc. Retaining a minority stake, The Morning Brew co-founders have an earn-out clause built into the deal, which encourages them to stay and grow the business long-term.
- When Milk Road, a crypto news newsletter, was acquired the newsletter had amassed 250K subscribers which they had grown to in just 10 months. Shaan Puri and Ben Levy grew the newsletter through targeted marketing and leveraging the crypto hype to sell for 8 figures.
Want to find out more about selling your newsletter with Flippa? Read our guide on How To Sell Your Newsletter.
Biggest Newsletters by Subscribers
As businesses recognize the potential of newsletters, some have achieved remarkable subscriber numbers. The following newsletters stand out as prime examples of high-value digital assets as measured by the number of subscribers:
NYT’s The Morning:
- With over 17 million subscribers, New York Times, The Morning is the most popular newsletter in the world. Providing daily briefing on global news The Morning also has an estimated 8 million paid subscribers.
- TheSkim provides a daily roundup of current events with over 7 million subscribers. Started in 2012 by Danielle Weisberg and Carly Zakin who left their jobs as news producers for NBC, after four years they raised $8 million in series B funds, followed by an additional round of funding in 2018 raising $12 million.
- 1440 is a 5-minute daily newsletter with over 3.2 million subscribers, sharing news from experts in their fields. Earning the majority of its money from advertising and paid-subscriptions, 1440 has also explored other sources of revenue including events and webinars, content licensing, and affiliate marketing.
Flippa’s strategic move into the newsletter market reflects the platform’s commitment to staying ahead of digital trends. As businesses continue to recognize the value of newsletters in connecting with audiences, the newsletter category on Flippa is poised to become a thriving marketplace for buying and selling digital assets. Whether you’re an aspiring newsletter entrepreneur or a seasoned investor, the newsletter category on Flippa opens up exciting opportunities to explore the dynamic world of email marketing and digital communication.