World's Leading Biology Website
Auction Ended Unsold
$500,000Bidding History: 9 bids
- Tue, 20 Nov 2012 15:25:29 EST
- Fri, 14 Dec 2012 18:20:30 EST
Website Statistics and Collected Data
|Links in Google||101|
|MajesticSEO Inbound Links||1,009,902|
|SEMRush Keywords in Google||42,327|
|Domain Registration Date||29 Nov, 2001|
Biology Online is a unique niche website. Today it has grown to be the largest biology community on the web. Unfortunately due to other commitments we have not been able to dedicate much time to this project. We have not touched it for over a year now and thus decided that it’s time for it to find its new home that will hopefully enable it to improve and benefit the academic community worldwide.
For a long time the website has been running virtually on its own with a help of one offshore content moderator (biology teacher/researcher), who’s been with us for 4 years and takes care of:
* Content validity/additions in the dictionary
* Forum administrations/moderation/support (actively participates in discussions)
All the other moderators are non-paid community members that volunteered to help. They are managed by our main moderator. We simply get a report every few days on what’s been done.
Some technical info:
Hosting and general site maintenance:
- DNS is managed by: Cloudflare, Cloudflare also provides out of the box cdn, dos protection and basic failover
- Hosting is managed by SoftLayer (in need of an upgrade), server specs:
Dual Intel Xeon 5430 (8 CPU in total)
4GB of RAM
2x250GB RAID 1 HDD
- Site management is done with cPanel (PHP, Apache, MySQL).
Slightly customized version of phpBB3 runs the forum and the basic user authentication across the whole site.
The code is well written and optimized.
The dictionary is powered by MediaWiki (slightly modified to fit our specific needs) and integrated with phpBB.
- Developer site management is minimal, occasional updates of phpBB and MediaWiki will be required.
- Sites uptime stats are very good, we had 99.97% uptime for YTD (pingdom stats).
- Pingdom alerts are setup to send SMS in case of down time
Included in the auction is an additional premium domain BiologyOnline.com purchased for $5000.
Considering that we haven’t done much development and improvements or any SEO for that matter and the site is doing extremely well, we believe that there is great potential for someone who has time and is passionate about biology.
Additional Revenue Details
Looks like Flippa verifies only 10 months of Adsense, so see full 2 years day by day report as well as Finalised Earnings and Payments report under attachments. Also, strangely it seems that verified earnings are different from those that given in the attached reports. Not sure why, but keep in mind that our Adsense account is in AUD, therefore maybe it's due to some incorrect currency conversion that Flippa is trying to apply? I will inquire with Flippa... but for now what I've put in Gross Revenue is simply the actual earnings as from Adsense's Payments report - since these are actual confirmed earnings that Google would pay. Note that Gross Revenue is in AUD.
- Cloudflare: $20 USD
- Softlayer: $384 USD(this can be reduced with a server upgrade)
- Pingdom: $9 USD
- Moderator: $708.80 AUD (this is average based on Nov 11 - Oct 12). See attachments for further breakdown
Net Profit has been given in AUD. First 3 points above total $413 USD per month, which is $401 AUD per month on average according to Oanda - http://www.oanda.com/currency/average
Thus, monthly average expenses total $1109.8 AUD. So, Net Profit is equal to Gross Revenue minus this number. The reason why i've chosen to give this info in AUD is so you don't get completely confused and can see that the Gross Revenue is equal to the numbers from Google reports. If Verified Adsense would be correct then i would convert everything to USD...
Note that numbers are rounded up as per Flippa's requirement. See attachment for decimals.