What? BlogPatrol.com is a popular stats counter and directory for bloggers.
Since When? Online and established since November 2002. Purchased BlogPatrol in September 2003.
Who Uses It? BlogPatrol has 103K+ total user accounts (34K+ logged in within last 30 days).
Who Runs It? With the help of a part-time system administrator, I've personally managed, customized, and built up BlogPatrol.com on a part-time basis over an eight year period.
Why Sell? Due to significant changes in my full-time career and a growing young family, BlogPatrol.com has run on autopilot for over a year. I'm looking for the right buyer who can take BlogPatrol to the next level.
Why Buy? BlogPatrol is an established, popular, and scalable website that generates revenues through passively generated advertising income.
BlogPatrol Highlights on Google and in the Media
- Current Google PageRank 6 (PR6). PageRank 7 in 2010. High of PageRank 8 in 2006.
- Listed in DMOZ under the Open Directory Category "Computers: Internet: On the Web: Weblogs: Tools: Tracking"
- Named, along with Google WebMaster Central Blog and Technorati, by ComputerWorld.com as a tool for managing one’s online reputation (Feb. 12, 2008)
- Selected for an eHow.com article titled How to add a counter to blogger blog
- Recommended by Blogging Basics 101 as an easy to use counter, along with SiteMeter, StatCounter, LiveBlogStats, and ShinyStat (Oct. 12, 2006)
- One of “Ten Resources for Power Bloggers” in Blogging for Dummies (2006 edition)
- Featured in the Project Management Institute's Career Track magazine (September 2006)
- Blog commented on by Biz Stone (co-founder of Twitter) (January 15, 2003)
- Mentioned by BlogPatrol users on their blogs and in discussion forums
System Architecture (including Unique Customized Features):
- LAMP system architecture: the site can be set to use a single master database (less performance, but less maintenance), or a multi-master, multi-slave configuration (better performance, but more maintenance). LAMP is the common acronym for websites that use a Linux-Apache-MySQL-PHP architecture.
- The BlogPatrol architecture supports stability and scalability via archiving of users' stats into manageable data partitions. Data is currently archived back to December 2009.
- The website interface is user friendly and provides powerful options for customizing user's BlogPatrol counters/widgets. The options include invisible widgets, stealth widgets, and widgets consisting of user-submitted images.
Site Maintenance Requirements:
MySQL Database & Server Administration –
- The site uses a MySQL database comprised of 6 tables that need to be monitored and maintained for performance; the site can be set to use a single master database (less performance, but less maintenance), or a multi-master, multi-slave configuration (better performance, but more maintenance).
- Depending on the web hosting arrangement, the Linux server must be maintained with software updates.
Customer Support Emails –
- The website includes a customer support blog that provides the ability to post system/service updates as needed
- On average, about 5 to 10 email support requests per day, usually for password resets (but a capable programming team could further improve and automate the password reset function)
Listing includes these BlogPatrol Assets:
Software, Websites, and Domains --
www.BlogPatrol.com website and valuable domain name (registered through November 18, 2020)
beta.BlogPatrol.com website for testing and development
The Patrol Blog (for user support)
BlogPatrol Test Blog (for testing of BlogPatrol counters)
- Related BlogPatrol domains with .info (9/29/2012), .biz (7/14/2012), .org (10/13/2012), and .co (5/5/2012) extensions registered through 2012
- Well-developed and effective customer support email templates for easy email support
- 1-year subscription already paid to WebExOne through June 2012 ($270) for outsourced email/web office services
Hardware -- Dell PowerEdge 2900 Server with multiple SSD drives and mulitple 2-TB storage drives.
Training and Support -- Transfer of site ownership including one month of email and phone support as needed.
- Transaction includes all assets outlined in the above assets listing
- Current revenues = $577 per month (generated passively by a third-party broker and by direct requests from advertisers)
- PR6 Domain Name already registered through November of 2020
- Unique development and customization resulting from 8 years of management and experience:
- From 2007 through 2011, personally invested over $15K+ of development in website functionality and PHP/MySQL enhancements
- BlogPatrol is a unique and friendly service for its users, as well as a scalable platform
- New owner must be able to transfer site to their own server, and/or I can ship my Dell PowerEdge 2900 server to you as well.
- Negotiable period (e.g., 30 days) of support for technical, business, and administrative transition including training on customer support and site maintenance.
Ideal Buyer Profile:
- a corporate entity or experienced web entrepreneur
- possesses or has access to technical capabilities to manage a data-intensive LAMP website that runs a multi-master, multi-slave, multi-gigabyte database .
- sales and business development experience to leverage and maximize BlogPatrol's international reach, popularity, and position in the evolving environments of blogging and web analytics
Updated Stats/Traffic and Revenue Screen shots:
- The attachments contain recent information as of the May/June timeframe, but I will post the latest traffic/stats and revenue information as the auction proceeds.
Additional Revenue Details
BlogPatrol Current Monthly Revenue Sources
- Text Links via Confidential Third-Party Brooker and Direct Sales
- Hosted Marketing Pages / Sponsored Article Pages
- Banner Ads via ValueClickMedia and CasaleMedia
- Text Ads via GoogleAds
Potential Revenue Generating Opportunities
- Provide Paid (new) vs. Free (current) Versions of BlogPatrol
- 103K+ users that have not been email marketed as yet, with active accounts logging in regularly as follows:
- 18,475 accounts (17.92%) logged in within last 24 hours
- 27,381 accounts (26.55%) logged in within last 7 days
- 34,016 accounts (32.99%) logged in within last 30 days
- Expand the functionality of the Top Blogs BlogPatrol directory to generate more page views and links
- Expand sponsored article pages model (e.g., http://www.blogpatrol.com/bad_credit_loans.html) to include additional pages/articles and generate more revenue
- Better use of banner ads (e.g., geo-targeting ads, direct advertising deals vs. brokered campaigns)
- Use of Google AdWords in BlogPatrol widgets
BlogPatrol Annual Revenue History
- 2006: $32,943
- 2007: $27,638
- 2008: $16,896
- 2009: $9,569
- 2010: $7,454
- 2011-to-date (as of 7/31/2011): $3,907
- Server hosting fees are the primary operational cost. BlogPatrol is currently hosted on my own machine using a business Internet connection that goes to a residence. Therefore, this cost is a variable that will depend on how the buyer wishes to host the site.
- The primary domain ( www.BlogPatrol.com) is already registered through November of 2020.
- Sale includes the Dell PowerEdge 2900 server and hardware (unless the buyer does not want it).
BlogPatrol Revenue Levels
- The declining revenues and traffic trends reflect the fact that BlogPatrol has been on autopilot for over a year due to changes in my personal schedule/priorities.
- Further, my own skills and knowledge with online advertising are rather limited, so I was never able to maximize the revenue. For example, I was not able to geo-target my banner advertising the way I would have liked.
Additional Traffic Details
User growth is 100% organic
- Current new user signups averages are ~10 per day (last 100 days) and ~475 per month (last 12 months).
Excellent Search Engine Position for Keyword "free blog counter":
Traffic is 100% organic @ ~15K uniques / ~200K pageviews per month:
- 40% Direct Traffic
- 44% Referring Sites
- 16% Search Engines
Traffic Last 12 Months per Google Analytics:
- 725,715 Visits
- 2,422,004 Pageviews
- 3.34 Pages/Visit
- 31.98% Bounce Rate
- 00:03:55 Avg. Time on Site
- 25.18% % New Visits
Traffic by 10 Countries:
- United States 42%
- United Kingdom 5%
- Canada 4%
- Singapore 4%
- India 4%
- Malaysia 3%
- Greece 3%
- Australia 2%
- Portugal 2%
- Turkey 2%