Wow, is it almost 2013 already? Every year is a big one here at Flippa Headquarters, but the whole team can unanimously agree that 2012 has been a massive year for us.
2012 in Numbers
Flippa buyers placed over 413,000 bids on auctions in 2012 and 29,022 websites and domains were sold since January — a increase of 3,000 sales over 2011! The total value of those sites and domains was over $22 million.
There were 2.9 million unique visitors on Flippa this year. With just over a week left to the year, there’s a strong chance we’ll hit 3 million uniques for 2012, as opposed to last year’s 2.1 million uniques.
98,523 new users joined the ranks of Flippa’s buyers and sellers this year; we also said goodbye and good riddance to the 8,000 users we banned or suspended. A big thanks to our Marketplace Integrity Officer, Danny, for his hard work in removing those accounts!
This year, we also solved over 30,000 support tickets, ranging from helping website sellers with getting their listings live to assisting website buyers in setting up saved searches and bidding. Since we committed to responding to all support tickets within 24 hours on business days, our support team has been kept busy!
A Year for Big Website Marketplace Enhancements
Our support agents weren’t the only busy bees this year: our developers worked hard to launch several new features this year. In the last 12 months, we launched
- our automated bid management system,
- a major site-wide redesign,
- more ways to verify AdSense and Google Analytics data,
- a brand-new listing process,
- a new way to sell new websites,
- an improved messaging centre.
The rest of our team also worked hard this year to improve the safety of both our buyers and sellers by adding
- restrictions on selling trademarked domains,
- better guidelines and more enforcement on claiming revenue and site age,
- a lowered threshold for buyer certification, meaning that more buyers are now certified.
Want to see a list of Flippa’s safety features? Have a look at the Flippa Safety Centre.
A Year for Big Website Sales
Some of our biggest sales this year include:
- an eCommerce furniture store, MadokaModern.com, for $85,000
- French blogging platform Bloguez.com, for $190,000
- MilitaryBases.com for $125,000
- Two domains, Salinas.com and WeddingVows.com, for $60,000 each.
Biggest Flippa Blog Posts of 2012
The Flippa blog had its biggest year yet in 2012. A few highlights:
- Our infographic on what is powering the Internet made the rounds after its initial publication on The Next Web.
- One of our top sellers, Richard Kershaw, shared his strategy for promoting an auction. This is a worthwhile read for all sellers!
- Zak Muscovitch, also known as the DN Attorney, stopped by a few times with advice on buying a website and on copyright and trademark.
2012 is not over yet
Most of the Flippa team will be taking a short break over the holidays, but our stellar support team will be on call if you need them.
Bidding continues right through Christmas and New Year’s on Flippa, so if you’re looking for your next website purchase in between family gatherings, now’s the time to set up saved searches, browse through our listings, and get a head start on business in the new year.
Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and we’ll see you in 2013!